Friday, May 22, 2009

Captured!

Ever have a hard time moving on to a new book after you've finished one you particularly enjoyed? I recently finished reading I Capture the Castle by Dodie Smith, and since then I can't seem to settle into another book. Nothing is capturing my interest the way that one did. I enjoyed every word from its peculiar opening, "I write this sitting in the kitchen sink", to its bittersweet ending. I loved the setting - a crumbling castle in the English countryside; the characters - the eccentric and endearing and ever-so-helpless Mortmains; and the way in which the story was told - through the journals of a naive, yet wise beyond her years, teenage girl.

Below is the editorial review, in case you're looking for a good read. I highly recommend it!

"I Capture the Castle tells the story of seventeen-year-old Cassandra and her family, who live in not-so-genteel poverty in a ramshackle old English castle. Here she strives, over six turbulent months, to hone her writing skills. She fills three notebooks with sharply funny yet poignant entries. Her journals candidly chronicle the great changes that take place within the castle's walls, and her own first descent into love. By the time she pens her final entry, she has 'captured the castle'--and the heart of the reader--in one of literature's most enchanting entertainments." 

What have YOU been reading lately? Anything worth recommending?

3 comments:

Terie and Kelani said...

Kelani is reading Inkheart to me. I have already read it, but it is fun and enjoyable all over again, especially with her reading it.

K. Welbes said...

I LOVE Capture the Castle. I really do recommend the Ladies #1 Detective Agency. It is totally different, but very interesting.

Anonymous said...

Yeah I liked this book too. What a nice book to resurface these days eh? I just started reading "Smile When You're Lying: Confessions of a rogue travel writer." And I just finished "elegance of the hedgehog" That one is worth sinking into for sure. Sarah