My first Mother's Day. It started with a snuggle in bed with my three favorite boys - Denis, Jon, and Pisco. There were hugs and kisses and purrrrs aplenty - a wonderful way to start the day. Denis and Jon then treated me to Sunday brunch at the Sheraton Hotel and a beautiful bouquet of sunflowers - my favorites. The rest of the day included a swim at the River Mall and a home-cooked dinner for three. I couldn't have asked for a better way to celebrate the day.

***Sap & Sentiment Alert: the rest of this post contains sap and sentiment. You've been warned.
It feels good to have joined the ranks of mothers around the world and in my life. In my short three months' experience, I can honestly say that motherhood is the most challenging and rewarding thing I have ever done. There I things I know I do well when it comes to being D's mom, and things I'm hoping to do better. I hope I always feel this way.
I'd like to wish a well-deserved Happy Mother's Day to some special mothers. Especially:
- My own mother. I lucked out in life being one of your brood! For as long as I can remember you've told me that your kids were the best thing that ever happened to you - and hearing that still makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside. You're the one who made being a mom look so appealing, so satisfying that I had to see for myself. Happy Mother's Day, Mom! I love you. Please go back and read this post.
- Margaret, my mother-in-law. I'm so glad I like you! ;) You always make me feel like one of the family, and have done so since the first time I met you at Christmas 2000. You're the kind of M-i-L that a girl can enjoy having an afternoon cup of Earl Grey with and playing a good game of Scrabble with (no matter who wins!). Your little Jonathan grew up to be a good man, a great husband, and a wonderful father. And for that I am ever so thankful. Happy Mother's Day, Mar!
- All my friends and family members who are mothers. You are far too many to list, but you know who you are. Please know that I've learned something from each and every one of you. You've all been wonderful role models - and I've been watching for years! For those I get to see daily, thank you for making every ordinary day extraordinary for Denis - playing with your kids is often the highlight of his day. For those I only see once a year or once in a blue moon, thanks for raising your kids to be kids I want Denis to know. I can't wait for him to meet them all - cousins and friends and neighbors galore!
- D's first mother - his birth mother. Unfortunately, I'll never get the chance to meet you, so I'd like to honor you here. I wish I could tell you how thankful I am that you brought Denis into this world. I give you my word that I'll always help guide him through it. In the short time D was with you, I know in my heart that he learned how to be loved. That is the greatest gift you could have ever given him, and I am incredibly thankful for that. To you, M.V., wherever you may be, Happy Mother's Day.
- The caregivers at the orphanage in Kaliningrad. You all saw to D's needs after his first mother could no longer do so and before I was given the privilege. Each of you played the role of 'mother' to the healthy, happy, handsome little boy who is now my son. I will never know all that you did for him, but I know it was enough to keep him thriving and keep him growing. It was obvious that each of you loved him dearly, and I cannot thank you enough for that. Happy Mother's Day to each of you.
I'll leave you with a laugh. This is a song someone sent to me not long ago. Oh, the phases (and phrases!) of motherhood I have yet to experience!



3 comments:
mar said...
Thank you,thank you - you know what? I feel the same way about you too! I'm the lucky one - and now we can share this wonderful world of motherhood. That song, by the way, made me really chuckle; the words and the singing were brilliant!
Congratulations on creating a happy home for your son and my son!
P.S. I love that mother-and-child photo at brunch
So, did you get through typing it without tearing up, because I didn't get through reading it without tearing up!
Glad you had a good day. I also love the pic of you and Denis. He looks so big with his new haircut!
Big, huge tears rolling down my cheeks. I am so happy to have your family in our life, too.
Remember yesterday that Tess was not happy about leaving the River. When you left, she called out several times, "I love you Denis!" at the top of her lungs.
Post a Comment