Tuesday, October 12, 2010

So You Think You Can Dance?

Well, no, not really. But do I think I can chaperone a dance trip to Beijing? Oh yes! That I know I can do. How does a librarian in Japan get herself invited to a dance competition in China, you might be wondering. She does so like this: She sits down at her desk on a regular Thursday morning and opens up her laptop in preparation for the day. She reads an email from the school's Activities Director that begins, "Would you fancy chaperoning our APAC Dance trip to Beijing?" And she thinks, "Yes, I would fancy that."

Our school's dance team will be participating in the Asia Pacific Athletic Conference in mid-November, and since the dance instructor isn't a CA teacher, the school has kindly asked me to go along as an extra chaperone. Lucky me!

It's these perks (and many other things) that make working at an international school so enjoyable. I'm really looking forward to this trip. It'll be nice to have a change of pace and scenery for a few days, and I should be able to catch up with some friends from our Peru days who now teach in Beijing. Oh, and then there's the visit to the Great Wall. Lucky me! Or did I already say that?


I wonder which view I'll get in mid-November? Doesn't matter. They're both spectacular!

2 comments:

Terie and Kelani said...

There are some great quilts for sale at teh great wall- the place that starts with an "S". There are lots of friends there, and since you will be there in winter time- eat lots of joazi and garlic! If you are there on a saturday see if you can make it to the Ghost Market or Dirt MArket, take a Chinese speaker and offer 1/3 of what they ask.
Have fun!!!!

TCLK said...

Wow! We were just reading about the great wall in language arts. It seems so amazing, I can't believe you get to go and see it. Have fun!