I don't know about you, but we have been busy with holiday parties around here. We (co-)hosted two Christmas parties last weekend, and both were heaps of fun.
Cookies & Cocktails: First up was my annual cookies and cocktails party. To be honest, each year I wonder why I do this when everyone is so busy with other parties, holiday plans, and trying to keep up with the demands of work and school. But then, once the mulled wine is simmering away and everyone arrives and adds to the gorgeous spread of cookies (from which to swap later in the evening), I'm always happy I do it. Is there a better way to spend a Friday evening in December?
The Morning After: While not technically a party, it may as well have been! Denis and Dima couldn't believe it when I set out this platter for breakfast the morning after. Cookies for breakfast? Woo hoo! There were limits, of course, but still. Cookies for breakfast! Besides, we needed something to dunk in our hot cocoa.
Kids' Christmas: Then on Saturday afternoon, the Backyard Moms & Dads threw a Christmas party for the Backyard Kids (is it copyright infringement to re-name them the Backyardigans?). We celebrated with...
cookies (more cookies?!)...
stories...
crafts...
and carols.
The caroling was the highlight of the party, in my opinion. Four high school girls came to lead the younger kids in a few traditional Christmas carols, and everyone sang along. The kids held candles (fake ones for the little guys), and felt very grown-up to be able to do so! The quiet mood and atmosphere was just what everyone needed after a party-filled weekend. If you feel so inclined, below is a video clip (4:39) of the kids singing.
Speaking of quiet, there were a few moments on the weekend when we weren't partying, but enjoying some quality pajama time. D & D both spent many a quiet moment looking through the different Christmas books from the trunk. Here's Denis with Richard Scarry's Best Christmas Book Ever (he recognized all the characters from the Busytown game - thanks again for that great game, Monica!) and Dima with his favorite, Dream Snow by Eric Carle. Can you tell that he loves to push the button in the back that makes music?























0 comments:
Post a Comment