Both the weather and D's chicken pox cleared up in time for the weekend. Woo hoo! On Saturday, I stole away to Kyoto for some Celia Time. I whiled away a few hours at the botanical gardens, and started a new book that I'm enjoying immensely - The Brother Gardeners: Botany, Empire, and the Birth of an Obsession by Andrea Wulf. It's a historical account of a handful of eighteenth-century naturalists who traded plants and ideas back and forth between Britain and America, eventually giving rise to England's love of gardening (thanks for the recommendation, Mom and Moni!). I'm already looking forward to her new book, Founding Gardeners: The Revolutionary Generation, Nature, and the Shaping of the American Nation, which takes a look at the importance of gardening in the lives of the 'founding fathers' of America.
Today, the three of us went to Kacho-en, a bird and flower park not far from us. D's class went there for a field trip on Friday, and we knew he was going to be heartbroken when he returned to school on Monday and realized that he missed the field trip he'd been talking about for weeks. So, we went today. He got to feed penguins, ducks, and toucans! It was a great outing, and a nice family day. Jon and I have been playing tag-team parenting all week - due to several work and social engagements - so it was good to spend some time together.









0 comments:
Post a Comment