Friday, November 7, 2008

Round Two

Anyone up for another game? I hope so because I've recently discovered I have an addiction. I'm addicted to the blog world! I love reading your responses. Getting a new comment is almost as good as receiving a real letter in the mail. Almost. So go on, give me the fix I need! 

Questions for this round are:

1. What name (first & middle) will we decide on for our little guy? 
2. Who'll be the bigger crier on our first trip - Jon or Celia?!
3. When will our day in court be?
4. Will our 10-day waiting period be waived?

Points to consider: 
(1) It's a boy, in case you've missed that bit of news! His Russian name is Denis. We plan to keep Denis as either his first or middle name. Other names we've been tossing around - some more seriously than others - are: Finnegan, Benjamin, Oliver, Nikolai, Nicholas, William, Simon, Owen. And then there's the name we've been calling him all along - Boris.  Will it stick? At this point, your guess is as good as ours. It could be any one of those names or something completely different - something that just feels right after meeting him. Or it could be the great name you predict! We really haven't decided yet. Good thing it's a long flight! 

(2) I'm a sap. Jon, not so much. However, he does have his moments, and this could certainly be one of them. 

(3) Kaliningrad is known for assigning court dates that are six weeks after the first trip. However, the holidays could interfere with our day in court. Six weeks after our first trip will be the week of our Christmas; the following week is New Years; and the week after that is Christmas in Russia (Jan 7). Will they squeeze us in before the holidays? Or make us wait until mid-January? Of course, we'll be hoping and pushing for the week of our Christmas...and I'm sure you can imagine just how much sway we'll have with a Russian judge!

(4) In Russia, there's generally a 10-day waiting period after a court ruling. Some judges in certain regions waive this waiting period when it comes to adoptions. However, the trend in Kaliningrad at the moment is not to waive this waiting period. What does this mean for us? After our court date, we might have to wait 10 business days until we can apply for our child's US visa and travel back to Japan with him, making our second trip almost three weeks long.   

Yes, there will be another door prize. Yes, it will most likely be a little trinket from a market in Russia! Oooh...maybe a piece of amber with a bug trapped inside it. Who will be so lucky? 

11 comments:

Sara said...

Okay...I'll go first. Gregory Denis or Nikolai Denis (of course there is always Igor!)
Celia will have the most tears.
Court date of 12/25/08 - what better Christmas gift! and a YES to waive the 10 days.
Have a safe and wonderful trip!

Anonymous said...

I had a dream his name was Oliver.. or Zachary.. weird you put Oliver! xoReBecca

Anonymous said...

Wow...this is tough. Nikolai Denis sounds good, but I really like many of the others--I love Oliver and Simon, and still really like Finnegan. You know I'm not known for my decisiveness, but here goes...
-Nikolai Denis
-Celia will shed the most tears (it's a mom thing)
-Court date of 12/29, and unfortuantely I think they won't waive the 10 days

I think I'm trying to use a little reverse psychology on this, and am really hoping you could have him for the holidays...let me ask you this--if they don't waive the 10 days, can you still spend time with him during that waiting period? It could help with the transition for the little guy if you do have to be there longer...I know, always want to put a positive spin.

Can't wait to see pictures!

Anonymous said...

I've decided his name should be Barack!ReB

Julie said...

Okay... Finnegan Denis Schatzky or Nicolas Denis
Celia will be the one in tears, though I can see Jon choked up. (Jon, please have the camera for the first meeting, I'm afraid Celia will be too emotional to take pics or even hold a camera steady.)
I'm hoping upon hope that you'll get the court date during Christmas holidays - my date is 27th of December.
No to waive, I know it'll be nice to get home, but at least you'll have your boy!

K. Welbes said...

First of all, Julie cheated by offering two names.

Now here are my answers:
1. I am still going with my favorite name even though Jon doesn't like it: Levi Denis Schatzky
2. Celia will have the most tears.
3. Your court date will be Monday, December 23rd.
4. They will not waive the 10 day waiting period.

Terie and Kelani said...

hmmm
I think Denis Finnegan Schatzky, and he will use an abbreviated version of his middle name.
When Celia is crying Jon will be trying to lighten the mood, as soon as she has everything together and it is time to go, Jon will have his tears.
Court date-Tues Dec 23.
The US consulate will be closed, but the judge will be so pleased with Barack's upcoming presidency that she will forget Jon is Canadian and waive the 10 days.
Have fun!

K. Welbes said...

Mine should read Monday, December 22nd. Sorry!

Danielle said...

Okay here goes
1) Nickolai Denis - because I like the 2 names together
2) Celia will have the most tears
3) Court Date - Tues Dec 30th
4) No, they will not waive the 10 day waiting period - courts will be courts!

Good Luck and look forward to reading more all week.

Danielle

Anonymous said...

Okay, my turn:

1. Your cat sitter tells me it is either Will or Finn. I'm going to say Will Denis Schatzky.
2. I'll say Celia, but only because Jon will huddle in the cold bathroom in the middle of the night to do his crying so that no one is the wiser. He's got a rep to protect, after all.
3. Court date December 24th, the most magical day of the year.
4. And yes, they'll waive the 10 days as a special Christmas gift.

Linda said...

HEY! I want to play! I didn't realize that you had this blogspot until you sent us the link today!!! HE IS ABSOLUTELY BEAUTIFUL! Our whole family is so excited and can't wait to meet him. Each one of the kids, when they saw the video you sent, asked if we were going to be able to meet him at Christmas this year. I told them we would have to wait just a little longer, but it will be worth it!

We all have teared up watching you interact with him, hearing his musical laughter and seeing pictures of how his countenance changed as he became comfortable with you two. What a blessing for all three of you!

Here are my guesses:

1) OBVIOUSLY - Denis Dmitriy Schatzky
2) Celia - you had to have cried more, but I'm sure it was nearly a tie!
3) You'll have your day in court on December 25; it's a sure Christmas bet! :)
4) No - no waiver of the 10-day waiting period. It will give you more time with him in his home country before he begins his new life with you. Less distractions there - so maybe it will be a bonus!! :)

Love you guys - and we love this blog! What a great idea. I think you've inspired us to create one for our family - even though our journey began almost 15 years ago and won't be completed any time soon!! :) Don't hold your breath, though. :)