We're proud to (unofficially**) present Denis Dmitriy Schatzky!
Yuri picked us up just past 11:00 this morning, and told us he needed to know Our Little Guy’s name so that he could file our Petition to Adopt. “What? You need a name right now?” “No, not now. Later. When we get to the orphanage.” “So, like, in 20 minutes?” “Yes. Later. Da.”
Thankfully, we had to stop at the regional hospital on the way to the orphanage to pick up Our Little Guy’s health records. Phew – that would buy us a few more minutes! But alas, the woman we needed to meet wasn’t there, so Yuri decided it would be best to go to the orphanage and come back later for the records. Drat – that was going to cost us those few minutes! So, there we were, in the parking lot of the regional hospital…deciding on a name.
We learned yesterday at the MOE that his Russian name is Denis Dmitrievich. We both really liked the way that rolled off our tongues, and after letting it roll around our heads for a day, we decided Denis Dmitriy Schatzky felt right. We’ll pronounce Denis as Dennis; whereas in Russian Denis sounds like Denise. We’ve shortened Dmitrievich to Dmitriy since the patronymic system isn’t something we use. Not only do we like the way his name sounds, we like the fact that it’s a version of his birth name. It’s who he is, and it’s the one thing he’ll get to take with him when he leaves Kaliningrad. (Now, if his name had been Vladimir, I might be singing a different tune!)
**He’s not technically a Schatzky yet, nor is he our son yet, but we’re getting there.
Turn up the volume for today’s video! It’s a great one with all sorts of giggling – you’re going to love it! It was so good to see more smiles today and to hear that laughter. What a great laugh Denis has! Enjoy…



18 comments:
Celia & Jon, he's perfect! And his name is perfect...It's sort of funny that you had to decide right on the spot--we decided on Carlie's name in the operating room--maybe that's the way to do it! Gail will be excited--that's how her uncle Denny spells his name!
It is so great to see how he's bonding with you guys...his giggle is precious--made me cry again! I wish you could have your hearing TOMORROW! Thanks for sharing this special time with us.
Wow!
I like the name(s) and his laugh is great. He seems to have bonded to you quickly, well done.
Que Guapo!
Love the name!
Glad your last name doesn't start with a T!
It seems like he's warming up to you guys quite quickly. I love the giggling!
Your smiles, his giggles - what precious moments of bonding. You look like such a family and it's only Day Two! Keep posting!!
This is meant to be! You are the best reality TV I've ever seen. It is great to see the whole Schatzky family: Jon, Celia and Denis. I think that with all the changes in his life, keeping his name the same is a wonderful thing that you've done.
I am sobbing. In joy.
oh his laughter is amazing! I love him already!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!ReB
I'm in tears.
I love the name but he will have to learn a lot of consonants quickly.
...more tears (of joy) from me too. And I have to teach in 5 minutes!
Ok, you guys have a little genius on your hands! Did you see how he stacked those cups, how he ate those Cheerios, how he threw that ball??? I struggle with those things! His movie star good looks are hard to miss as well. Wonderful! (I have some stacking cups in the trunk of my car, you know) See you soon! Avis
Oh. My. God.
So cute!!
And yes, your kid IS smarter than Avis! Congrats on that super big achievement!! ;->
How precious!!! How could you not just adore him??? This all brought tears to both Dan's and my eyes - and the kids are all so excited!!!! :)
I agree with Gail - BETTER THAN REALITY TV - because we know and love the cast and get to meet the STAR! :) Not soon enough though!
He looks happier with each picture and each post! And we love the name. Alaina and Ian want to know if they can call him "Dmitriy?" Are you thinking of nicknames? And does he understand you at all yet? :)
WOW! Christmas is here already!!!!! HO HO HO!
Can't wait to read more!
As the potential grandfather(one of them anyhow)and the token male to respond, I've got to get a word in edgewise here.Our house is now plastered with Denis' pix, lifted from your website, including the smiling one on my desktop.
I googled the name Dmitriy (spelled everyway but this way)to find it means "lover of the soil". Great, that's much better than "lover of the office cubicle" and very environmentally friendly.
We, on the Schatzky side are absolutely amazed that Denis looks so much like Michael(Jon's brother) and Anthony(my youngest brother)and to an extent like Jon also, when they were about 18 months old.I regretfully but truthfully have to tell you, he looks a bit like me at that age..or is that wishful thinking?
So welcome to the family, Denis. (Sorry about hogging the genes you Mullins)
C&J, I don't know which of you cried first, but every photo, every gurgling, joyful laugh out Denis makes me cry. He is quite a gift. It seems like if will be to long until we get to meet him face to face.
Enjoy the week getting to know him better. I imagine he already looks forward to seeing you each day.
I, like Grandpa Schatzky, like that his name means "lover of the soil." Nothing like playing outside in the dirt and rocks.
xoxo, from Aunt Monica.
OMG. Look at all my typos! it, too. That's what I get for doing this when I should be working.
:)
Celia, Jon, and Denis...how lucky you all are!!! What a blessing for all of you...life is GOOD!!! I can't wait to meet him...patience, love, and kindness is all you need...you guys are set! Love all of the pics and videos...you are all in my thoughts everyday!!!
Love you!!
Yes, I keep rereading your blog, and rewatching your videos... I was just looking at his name again. Won't it be fun when you can start writing that on lunch boxes and such?
We are so excited for you guys,
Mike and Ilena
Post a Comment