Friday, August 15, 2008

Dinner for Eight

I'm cooking for eight tonight. While it won't be all local fare, I was able to buy a few ingredients from the shop down at the River Mall. The watermelon, onions, and garlic are all organic (and local, I assume). I was hoping to pick up more tomatoes from this shop since the ones they sold last week were perfectly plump, red, and juicy. But there were only a few stragglers left, and I needed several for the stuffed tomatoes. So, those came from the grocery store - and from who-knows-where, originally. Most of the produce I'm using is in season, and hopefully more of it is local than I realize. I can't read the labels! (Note to self: must learn Japanese!) As for what's on the menu, several French dishes jumped out at me as I was flipping through my cookbooks, so it's Bistro style tonight. On the menu we have:
  • Watermelon cocktails 
  • Hors d'oeuvres
  • Poulet au vinaigre
  • Provençal tomatoes
  • Haricots verts with shallots
  • Peaches and cream
It's been a while since I've cooked for a crowd, and I'm looking forward to all the chopping, simmering, and sautéing. It's a general rule of thumb that you shouldn't try out new recipes on your dinner guests, but here I go! Terie & Julie, I'll be missing mis compañeras de la cocina today. But I'm happy to do without the broken-down car, the backed-up sewer, and what else was it...? By the way, it's 8:00 AM here. Do you think it's too early to crack open a Corona?

Isn't food beautiful? I wish you could smell this mint via the Web - it's heavenly!

5 comments:

Julie said...

You should always have beverage open while cooking - it keeps you creative and relaxed! If it's 8:00 am, so be it - just take a nap and sleep off the other 5 Coronas before your guests arrive!
Oh, I miss cooking with you two!
Wait until there's a little one in the house - Jon will have to start cooking... (Hopefully there's not a McDonald's nearby!)

Terie and Kelani said...

I use cooking as an excuse for starting the drinking a little earlier....and yes I could use some help tomorrow, I am trying to make Chinese food....We will have to have a cooking reunion!

K. Welbes said...

I am so sad that we missed it, but I did have the rose water cosmo, and I toasted you (in my mind). I hope we get an invite to the next one even though we had to bail on this one.

Celia said...

As it turned out, I saved the drinks for when the guests arrived! Good luck with your Chinese dinner, Terie. What's the occasion?

A cooking reunion sounds great. Someday, somewhere...!

Julie said...

ooh, a cooking reunion - now, Kirsten's always the pickle... do we invite Todd? No, we'll make Kirsten cut veggies and make us drinks - we'll dump all the kids on John, Jon and Todd. Actually, Kelani may do a better job of watching the little ones;) I can see the guys hovering around a laptop giggling about something ridiculous while Max bites Tess or Boris and Riley whips Kelani's butt in Wii... ahhhh, someday!