I love watching the changes in Denis as he becomes more interested in reading and figuring out how letters turn into words and words turn into stories. He's always loved books, but lately his interest seems to have intensified. Whereas before he would say, "I can't read this yet", he now says, "Mom, I think I can read this!" He can't yet, of course, but something is shifting within and he's beginning to recognize certain things. Technically, he's in what's called the pre-reading stage, and I'm awed by the way the brain works. I look forward to watching the transformation that'll take place over the next couple of years as he learns to read.
This morning we've been playing Cariboo and Boggle Jr., having all sorts of fun with letters and words. What great games for this age!




1 comments:
mar said....I love this pre-reading stage he's entering, right on cue as a four year old starting to make connections between letters and words - my favourite age to teach!
Post a Comment