Sunday, July 31, 2011

Back in Kaliningrad


Does it ever feel good to be back here! My first stop after Yuri dropped me off at the Hotel Moscow was my very favorite cafe. I coined it the Midriff Cafe the last time we were here, in honor of all the beautifully bronzed servers who weren't afraid to show a little skin despite the chilly temps. Oddly enough, there were no exposed midriffs this time around - and it's summertime! - a direct contrast to our visit a few winters ago.

I'm happy to report that the apple cinnamon pancakes (crepes) are still on the menu, and that the service is just as friendly.



The real name of the cafe, Yuri informed me, is Croissant.



My home for the next week - Hotel Moscow.

It's 8:00 and I'm having dinner at the hotel restaurant. It's a gorgeous summer night here, with plenty of daylight left - another big contrast to our last visit here. I remember all too well pushing a bundled-up Denis in his stroller over the icy sidewalks during the dead of winter. Those same sidewalks are now filled with families out strolling in the summer evening.

Off to bed soon, as tomorrow's a big day, and I'm beat.

7 comments:

Monica said...

Great to see you have arrived and are enjoying memories made from that first visit. Tomorrow will be a big day and full of so much potential! xo, m

Anonymous said...

mar said...
Exciting to know you are really there again! Will be thinking of you tomorrow on that important Day One - and eager to read all about it.

K. Welbes said...

ACK!! I cannot believe that you are there already. The crepes look delicious. I cannot wait to hear about your experiences tomorrow. Lots of love!

Anonymous said...

Good luck tomorrow and enjoy every minute! I can just feel those warm summer European evenings- miss it.

Julie said...

Glad you arrived safely and that you're enjoying your time! Can't wait to hear more!

TCLK said...

I am so glad to hear you are there and made it to your favorite cafe! We are enjoying hanging out with Denis. He finally decided to indulge me and play Crazy 8's, Go Fish and Concentration (It might have helped that we played with spiderman cards). My favorite game to play with him was Trouble. I loved watching him count to see if he could make it to Win (which he did) Aunt Melinda and I still had two more guys to go!

wightperson said...

I'm with you in spirit. If anyone could handle these first few days on their own, it is you.
I can't wait to "meet" the new little guy via this blog!
love you peanut, g