We're down to one (Jon's police clearance from Latvia) and 1/2 (our Japanese police clearances) documents before our home study is complete. We went to the Hyogo Prefectural Police Headquarters today and were fingerprinted by a slick electronic machine (so modern and so Japanese - no sticky black ink pads there!). We were told that our police clearance certificates will be ready between March 24-28. I call that '1/2' of a document because I know it's actually in the works. As opposed to the Latvian police clearance... we have no idea what, if anything, is happening with that document. Jon emailed the Latvian embassy to check on the status of his report, and the embassy told him that they have no way of tracking its status. So, we can only hope that it's really in the works. By our count, it's still a full outstanding document. Come on, Latvia!
We're still no further with our decision in regards to a sibling group or one child. Jon wants to adopt two. And while I love the idea of siblings, I'm looking at the practicality of it all. Are we ready for two kids? Can we adequately meet the needs of two kids who come to us at the same time? The more we read about adopting toddlers who haven't had the best beginning in life, the more we recognize the importance of one of us establishing ourselves as the primary caregiver. We are supposed to put off child care and any other form of 'institutional life' for as long as possible. I will be the one to stay home with our child(ren) for as long as we can afford, while Jon will continue working. That means a great deal of the adjustment period, with all of the bonding and attachment techniques we've learned to use, will take place with one parent - me. Not only am I a bit concerned about my ability to handle this with two kids, I'm also concerned that Jon won't be getting enough of this crucial time with our child(ren). I'm sure this a concern of many families - both bio and adopted - around the world, and everything seems to work out in the end. We've just waited a long time for this, and I want to make sure we make the 'right' decision. Can somebody please tell me what that is?!


2 comments:
From the grand experience of being a parent for 6 months - you cannot forsee anything. Go with your heart! You two will be great parents - even as a SAHM, you'll be fine with two - think of what our parents did! And really how much one on one time do you really want John influencing the kids?
I'd be more worried about what's on Jon's Latvian record;)
Have you guys thought about 1 and 1/2 children?
Post a Comment